Edward Crawford, one of the founders of the Grand Ledge Chair Co, left the Michigan Chair Co. and returned to Grand Ledge in 1902 to start the Crawford Chair Company. The company built a new five-story factory with a distinctive eight-story tower. An account at the time noted:
“The Crawford Chair Company has this year erected at Grand Ledge a fine building of cream-white brick, 60 by 160 feet square, five stories in height above the basement, and surmounted by a cupola. It has but recently begun work; will make a specialty of dining tables, and when running at its full capacity, expects to employ two hundred hands.”
The company changed hands in 1931 to become the Hoerner Chair Company. The factory burned down in 1943.